Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Zoe's Baptism

Zoe had a beautiful baptism on Sunday! And Phillip performed the baptism. I am proud of my oldest son, kind and caring to his little sister, not to mention handsome all in white. It especially made my mother's heart melt to see them sitting next to one another before the service, his strong arm wrapped around her little shoulders. Watching Phillip baptize Zoe in the font was an amazing blessing - two of my dear children showing their commitment to the Lord.

All of the kids were able to participate in the service. Sam played the closing hymn "Called to Serve" and accompanied Phillip and Zoe as they sang the primary song "When I am Baptized." He did an amazing job, of course. As an extra special treat, our missionary Graham sent a tape from El Paso, Texas. I played it as part of the talk I gave, and in it he told Zoe how proud he was of her, taught her about baptism and shared his big brother love. Almost like having him there...

In my talk, I compared Graham's gift of the audio tape, a way to share his love, comfort and guidance to Zoe when he couldn't be there, to the gift she would receive from her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ after the baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost. She seemed to understand. I pray that she will learn to rely on the spirit as she grows into a strong, young woman.

Since Zoe is my first girl, it was my first time to help a little one get dressed in her baptismal clothes - walk her to the font and then meet her as she walked up the stairs after being baptised, all dripping wet and ready to be snuggled in a towel. I treasured helping her put on her beautiful new white dress afterward, buttoning her up and tying the little bow in back. What a sweet, sweet moment!

1 comment:

  1. That was such a wonderful, sweet baptism; Zoe is lucky to have big brothers who love her so much! Thank you for letting me share a part of her special day.

    ... and welcome back to blogland! ;)

    ReplyDelete