Friday, September 10, 2010

Simple joys while waiting for the school bus

This week I've enjoyed lovely mornings with Zoe while waiting for the school bus. Sam is already at jazz band when it comes, so it's just us girls. Yesterday, the earth was still damp from the night's rain. While Zoe examined the worms crawling across the driveway I pruned my roses, which were in desperate need of pruning. Late summer's roses are wet and faded and messy, but I love them nonetheless.

Zoe and I spent extra time reveling in the rose I bought for her last spring. It's the apricot bloom in the upper left of the photo, and it's called "Sisters at Heart" - that seemed the perfect name for my dear girl's special rose. And my Graham Thomas rose (lower right) reminded me of my dear missionary son. Beautiful morning.

Then today we sat on the driveway practicing Zoe's spelling words for her first test in 2nd grade. P-E-O-P-L-E, she spelled carefully, her blond curls spilling over her paper and pencil as she bent low over her paper. Growing up. Strange to only have two children at home again - but so grateful for the simple times I have left to share with them.

1 comment:

  1. Your roses are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your simple moments; I need to remember to stop and enjoy the little moments in my own life more.

    ReplyDelete