Saturday, October 5, 2013

Chicago

For the last three years I've traveled to the annual conference of the Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development, affectionately known by its acronym SHSMD, which is pronounced like you're emphatically shushing someone, followed by the word mud, minus the soft "u" sound.

Two years ago, the conference was held at an oasis of a resort in Phoenix with pools, palm trees and tai chi. Last year, I traveled to Philadelphia and soaked up history like a sponge. This year, the conference was held in Chicago. Waiting for classes to begin, sitting on a bench outside my hotel tower, I watched the sun reflect off the river and buildings on the opposite shore. In that moment, I accepted the fact that I am a small-town girl at heart.

I enjoy the energy of a big city for awhile, it's exciting, but I miss the quiet of a slower community that stops for ducks crossing the street. Nonetheless, I came back from the conference with some great ideas for my hospital. I can't wait to implement them!

A few non-work highlights...

My favorite food: Chicago hot dogs eaten outside, on a busy city street, with a pot of red geraniums bursting nearby. Can't wait to try these at home if I can find the elusive poppy seed hot dog buns.

Favorite shopping: a quick stop at the flagship American Girl shop for Zoe and the Tiffany stained-glass dome in the historic Macy's building

Favorite animal: five beluga whales (including a baby) at the Chicago Aquarium, where the conference held its annual networking event

Favorite music: I stumbled into the Chicago Cultural Center to use the restroom, and what a find! Marble staircases, quotes from great philosophers and writers written across the walls in mosaics and the music. Sigh. A cellist and pianist were giving a free concert, a sweet tender mercy amidst the busyness of my trip..

Favorite painting: a toss up of the following piece by Mary Cassatt, Grant Wood's American Gothic or my first Monet Waterlilies painting (what a treat for an old art critic) at the Chicago Institute of Art.
Favorite Chicago person: my father-in-law Vern Thomas. Vern lives in Indiana and drove two hours to meet me at the art museum. We had a lovely visit, and I enjoyed getting to know him better. In the museum gift shop he showed me a painting he said reminded him of himself whenever he sees it. "This is me," he said. That made me think. What painting best depicts who I am? What painting most reminds you of who you truly are?
Favorite transportation: architecture tour boat (photo above) - what a lovely way to see the city and learn its history. Did you know the word Chicago is derived from a native word meaning either "striped skunk" or a wild leek with a strong onion-garlic smell?

My favorite photo: I took this shot of Vern at the famous cloud sculpture (most Chicagoans call it The Bean though, so I've adopted that name). I love the curved skyline reflected in the sculpture's surface and Vern's straightforward pose. I also like the fact I'm reflected in the photo as well, taking the picture of Vern; you have to look close, I'm wearing a blue dress and bright gold scarf. It's a fun juxtaposition of images, considering Vern's and my earlier discussion of ying and yang while we explored the Asian galleries of the art museum.

I am grateful for family connections, a good job with opportunities to learn and a small-town heart.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you were able to capture so many small happinesses, like bright beads on a string! If you ever track down the poppy seed buns, grab a bag for me! As far as the art, I don't know what would be "me." I do really like the homey pictures by Carl Larsson; I always enjoy realistic art that portrays every-day family life.

    ReplyDelete