Sunday, November 24, 2013

Apple Cider Day

A few weeks ago I saw an open invite to apple cider making on Dale England's Facebook page. I've always been a little jealous of the youth at church who go to Manson Growers each fall to make gallons of cider, so I marked it on my calendar. So happy I did!

The air smelled like apples in the packing shed Saturday. Bins piled high with red and yellow fruit stood next to the cider press, and empty gallon jugs were piled on bins turned upside down. Dale handed Zoe a cup of the sample batch, and she took a sip, approving the final cider recipe: two boxes of Red Delicious to one each of Golden Delicious and Granny Smith.

The kids and I stood next to the bins, filled cardboard boxes with apples and lugged them to the press.


More families joined the party, packing, pouring, turning the press and swapping out the buckets of pulp. The littlest kids lined up to hold paper cups under the spout and catch the golden cider. Janet Jones brought warm homemade doughnuts thick with glaze and cinnamon sugar. Bits of apple flew high. Juice puddled. Friends and family told stories, worked and laughed. The perfect mix of sweet and tart.

It was a recipe for something even better than cider. I took a break, standing high above the crowd, watching my kids happily work and visit with their friends, looking so content. I watched people I've known for years pitch in to make a big sticky, wonderful, delicious, sweet ruckus and felt gratitude.

It felt like coming home. I am grateful for my small town, for friends who lift one another, who laugh and cry together, who give so much. My heart is full of love and gratitude for my church and community family. I am very blessed.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, Celeste! I am glad that you had a mini-vacation of sorts.

    ReplyDelete