Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Temple

We all have our favorite places. For Sam, it's the top of a mountain. For me, it can be a big rock for sitting in a grove of trees or the wild Washington coast, waves crashing at my feet, seagulls calling overhead. Closer to home, I love my porch swing in summer. Or the sun-drenched Lake Chelan beach - sand, driftwood, blue and mountains to cradle my soul. Snow-covered Icicle Creek in Leavenworth calls to me when I click on my cross country skis in winter, and snowshoeing at Echo Ridge, high above the valley's cloud cover, fills me with all sorts of warm fuzzies.

But one of my favorite spots to untangle is the temple. There are three Mormon temples in Washington state (each about three hours from my home), and this year I've managed to visit one monthly, with friends, with Sam or alone. On each building there are words that read, "Holiness to The Lord." Temples are peaceful places where time slows down for me. Sometimes, when I visit, I meditate in prayer, seeking answers and inspiration. Other times I sink into the quiet, allowing God's love to smooth the wrinkles in my heart.

I've come to depend on the healing balm of temple attendance.

Earlier this month, Sam and I attended the Columbia River temple after his state cross country meet in Pasco. In our faith, youth can go to the temple when they turn twelve and do baptisms. We believe in performing baptisms by proxy for those who have passed away, so our youth can be baptized by immersion for those people. The temple fonts are held on the backs of twelve sculpted oxen representing the twelve tribes of Israel.

Both Sam and I, dressed in white, performed several baptisms. It was an honor to watch Sam serving others in such a selfless way. I was very proud of him.

It's hard to describe how the temple is different from how I feel God in natural settings. I know I've recognized His strength in the gnarled bark of a weeping willow and in the smoothness of stones washed to shore. I've felt his tenderness in both the sun's warmth and the coolness of a mountain stream. My spirit has lifted heavenward as I watched golden leaves fly past in a wild dance of abandon. I savor those moments and seek them out.

But being in the temple adds new perspective. Perhaps it is the act of faith to attend that opens my heart more fully to God's love, I'm not sure, but I do that know the temple has proven a great blessing to me and my family.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. We find peace in similar places :) I am so thankful for the strength, love and stability I feel in the temple. It has been both an anchor and a life-saving buoy for me!

    ReplyDelete