Sunday, November 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Sam!

Dear Sam, two weeks ago you turned sixteen years old. I want to to tell you how very much I love you - and how grateful I am for the years we have shared. You are a wonderful young man. I am privileged to be your mom. This morning, I thought back on the last year and am amazed at how much you accomplished through hard work, determination and heart.

The Athlete
In the last year, you worked hard to keep your body strong. You lettered in both cross country and track, taking minutes off your personal record and qualifying for state this season. My favorite honor was when you received Most Dedicated in cross country. You worked so hard! Even when your body struggled, you pushed through with sheer will. You also finished your first Olympic Triathlon (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and 10 K run) last summer, in less than three hours. What an inspiration to me!

On top of that you finished your life guard course and earned your certification. And it wasn't even in some cushy pool; it was in our very cold lake. Congratulations!
I am proud of you Sam, not just because of your many accomplishments, but because of the character traits that help you achieve them. You are strong and determined and disciplined. I know you are sometimes frustrated with medical challenges, but I appreciate how you try to look at them with a positive twist, recognizing the role your illness and recovery played in helping you embrace physical accomplishment. 

I love to cheer you on as you race, jumping up and down, calling out "Go Sam, Go, Go, Go. YAY!" I smile when I remember waving at you from the dock at the end of your two mile-swim this summer, when you had enough energy and spunk to politely respond "hi" when you took a side breath and saw me.
I remember holding you as a tiny baby, and later, sitting next to you when you were so sick, wondering what the future held, and now I watch you - taller than me, big strong shoulders, working hard to run faster, bike harder and swim further, and I am grateful for your health and strength. I am grateful for you.
But my favorite athlete memories aren't the competitions. It's the training you do with me and Zoe. You are my favorite coach. I love it when you push and challenge me, patiently running next to me at my very slow speed. It means so much when you find me near the end of the Covey Run (long after you've finished) and run the end with me, cheering me on. Then there are the times you leave me in the dust; I enjoy that too, because then I get to watch you run ahead against the blue lake and sky, relishing your love of activity and nature. My heart especially swells when I watch you run or bike with your little sister, encouraging her to do her best. You are a good teacher.  

The Brother
You are an amazing brother, loyal and caring. You are a  friend (and "best man") to your older brothers. I am glad of that. They are very blessed to have you in their lives.
You are also an amazing big brother to your little sister, who loves you so much! When I see you patiently hold Zoe's hand or heft her onto your shoulders, I know you will become a kind, loving father. Many people I know mention the tenderness you show your little sister. They, like me, see the good, strong man into which you are growing. Thank you for that! What a blessing you are to us.
The Scholar, Artist & Musician
You are smart, there is no doubt! God has blessed you with an amazing brain, and I am pleased you choose to use that intelligence to learn much and bless others! It's fun to put your straight A report cards on the fridge, but it's even more fun to watch how conscientiously you check your grades and make school a priority. I can't wait to watch you compete in Knowledge Bowl this year! It's fun to see you embracing new and challenging opportunities.

Like art. Congratulations on your art show awards last year! And congratulations for tapping into that creative part of your brain and spirit. You are brave and daring as you explore new mediums. Whether it's origami, photography, drawing or painting, you put so much thought and care into it.
And music. Your music brings so much joy into our home! Even when you play the piano hard and fast - as LOUD as you can - sometimes the same song, over and over, I love it. You wanted to learn to play the piano for as long as I remember. And I was a negligent mom for awhile, meaning to get to it. Then, when you were sick in the ICU, and I didn't know if you'd recover enough to ever play, I promised myself I would get you lessons if you got better. Thank goodness I kept that promise.

You are amazing! You make our piano sing and dance and rock the walls of our little house. Not to mention the joy you bring others when you play at church or at your recitals.

It's also a joy to hear you play the trumpet and the french horn and the ukulele and the harmonica. Whether playing at a school concert, accompanying Zoe on the violin, jamming with your friends at the farmers market,  pumping up basketball games in pep band or just making music on our couch, your music is a gift to many, including me. I will so miss it when you go away on your mission and then to college!

And I can't forget your composing and arranging. I am amazed that you hear such beautiful, inspiring music in your head. You have grown much since your first Christmas arrangement last year. Your newest works make my heart race and bring tears to my eyes. You have a gift.

Today, Sam, you blessed the sacrament for the first time at church, dressed in your white shirt and tie. You did such a good job - and looked so handsome! I am grateful you put God first in your life, attending early morning seminary, reading your scriptures and serving others. I know that as you continue to do this, you will grow closer to God and feel his power in your life. I am also excited that you want to serve a mission and know you will bring happiness to many people.

Sam, you are very, very blessed - with a strong body, a keen mind, a kind heart and a creative soul. I am proud of you for nurturing those gifts with discipline and hard work. You are an amazing young man with much to offer your family - and your future family. When I welcomed you into the world, little did I know how much joy and happiness you would bring into it. Thank you for being my son. I love you very, very much. Happy birthday. Lovingly, Mom

1 comment:

  1. A sweet tribute to a truly awesome boy! Happy Birthday, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete